Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beer of the Month



One of Elizabeth's coworkers is massively perceptive. She figured that two kids of German ancestry would enjoy a subscription to the Beer of the Month club as a wedding gift! So, as a service, I have decided that the least I can do is advertise these under-appreciated microbrews in a short post when I enjoy one of the craft brews that arrives at my doorstep.

First up is a mixed six-pack from Hook & Ladder Brewing Company. The first bottle I pull out is "Backdraft Brown". Now before I go on, I understand that this is ripe for areas of abuse "backwash brown" if I don't like it, et cetera. I will keep this to a minimum.



Backdraft Brown is described as "smooth, refreshing and loaded with flavor." "Specialty malts balanced with just the right amount of cascade hops give it a roasted taste and beautiful brown color."

At initial pour, I am surprised at the body it has - so many of these microbrews are thin when bottled, letting the drinker pound one into the back-end of a glass with no ill effects. As you can see, I inadvertently ended up with quite a head!

As for taste, the label does not misdirect. The taste is full but smooth, with a mellow roasted taste that doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste behind to nag you into eating something to clear your palette.

This reviewer gives it two beer bottles up!

No comments: